sobota, 11 lipca 2015

About me - part I

Finished games
I publish games to Newgrounds:
http://t4upl.newgrounds.com/

Education
Bachelor degree: Biomedical engineering
Master degree (in progress): Informatics

About the games:
  • World chaser - probably the game I am most proud of. Not everything worked and would change this and that if I ever decide to do a remake. 
     
    Some fault lays at Stencyl - game was created using version 2 which had inefficient graphical engine what resulted in lags. The main problem with game design is that playing longer doesn't necessary bring you closer to the end. It's because you are allowed to revisit worlds you have already completed. I would change that if I get second chance. 
     
    One of the extras I really like are album which contains worlds you have already visited. The other one is quotes contained in the instructions to each world. Finding quotes concerning some topics turned out to be more difficult than expected. The funniest thing about researching quotes was finding quote about ire/wrath/fury. As it turns out the only 'cool' quote came from the Bible (a.k.a. that book speaking of endless mercy).

  • Twin star - this game was made for LudumDare with theme 'Worlds connected' and it's quite a funny/sad story. You know how they say that you need to fail a 100 times and then you will succeed? This game is one-step from succeeding. I think the game itself was nice. I wanted to add gravity effects like in 'Oribtal' but had failed to do it so it remained only as concept and was never implemented.
    The main idea of the game is that you control a pair of stars with single gravity center - so if you rotate one star around it the other moves as well. I added some gravity to the stars - if they are close, gravity will take effect and it will be more difficult to separate them. I published the game, it made some views. Some time later I enter newgrounds and I see frontpaged a game called Binary ... (I think it was called Binary System).
    • The game had used the same idea of two stars with single point of gravity.
    • No extra effects.
    • No gravity between stars.
    • The game layout was worse - you could die because the enemy could jump from outside of screen.
    • Game used 3D graphics instead of 2D like mine (3D but nothing advanced)
    • Game made easily 10 times more views than my game
I must say I am extremely jealous about that other game but on the other hand I know that I am on good way and next time it will be me taking those views.

  • Treasure Hunt - this game is bad, really bad. It was my first LudumDare so I didn't know how it works really. My internet connection was bad so even if I were to finish my game in time I wasn't sure if I would be able to send it. I had terrible hangover from meeting my friends day before.

The game turned out to be extremely boring. I think there is some potential in the idea but it would need to be differently executed to give fun. The only good thing about the game was background.

The funny part: as this game is the worst game I ever did it has the most views.

Stencyl
I don't know how I got into Stencyl. Every summer I had promised myself that this is the summer when I would learn how to do games and one summer I did. I did crash course, which is terrible. On the other hand you need to do this. Now being one of the guys on the forum who helps newcomers there is nothing worse that a newbie who comes demands help and is not willing to do anything on his own.

Consturct 2
I had brief romance encounter with Construct when I got really angry at Stencyl (and stupid things that happen and are not covered in manuals). It has some pros and cons against Stencyl. The bottom line is that free version allows you only to give 100 events. At that time I wanted to do full RPG, with big dialogues interactions between NPCs etc. 100 events let me move my character and open dialogue and that was it. You want more? Buy full version! As you see Construct screams for your money. I would consider buying it if it was perfect but it is far from it.

Blog
This blog was created from variety of reason. Firstly I helped a lot on Stencyl forums. 2 hours here 2 hours there... I could use those 4 hours to make my own game and yet I got nothing in return. So now I got a blog. The other thing is that crash course is really terrible so I wanted to provide something better.

I don't do games for lazy people - if you want me to do your school-project pay me and I will do it. I do projects for this blog either because the problem is interesting or the project has good educational values.

The rules for using my codes are:
  • If your game is non-profit it's ok to use my code as long as mention me
  • If your game is commercial you are ought to discuss me about using my code - otherwise I will take legal action against you
  • Some things used in tutorial (pictures, music) don't belong to me - they belong to their owners.

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz